Minggu, 20 Februari 2011

Surface PRO is AMAZING!!!

Microsoft Surface Pro Windows Tablet

Microsoft Surface Pro Windows Tablet

About Me
I work as a graphic designer creating illustrations, graphics, labeling and etc. I mostly use a Mac at work with the Adobe Creative Suite (CS5) but side-by-side with a Windows 7 pc for everything non CS related.

About my computers
At home I have [soon to be had] a very dated Windows XP desktop and laptop which are [were] driving me crazy. Very slow connection speeds and other problems just because they need to be retired.

So, it was time for an upgrade at home.

What I did
I purchased a Surface PRO 128 GB with black Type Cover and digital pen. Got a bundled deal which included screen protection, MS Office 365 subscription for a year, carrying case, and extended warranty.

I brought it home and downloaded and installed the trial versions of Adobe Design and Web CS 6 and Corel Draw 6 (I think that's the version). Plus a bunch of other free apps from the Windows Store.

Then I "played".

Basically, trying to see what the limits of the machine are when using the heavy hitters such as Photoshop and etc.

What I think
So far, I'm completely in love and impressed with the hardware. Also with MS Word 365, surprisingly.

I used the Surface Pro to take a photo of something I wanted to use as a reference for a line drawing/illustration. Then brought the photo into both Adobe Illustrator (AI) and Corel Draw.

It takes a little getting used to but I was up and running pretty quickly. AI's interface doesn't seem to be optimized for the small screen so all the tools and menus are microscopic but still useable. Perhaps Adobe's CS7 will work out better (and NO, I don't know when that will be released).

Corel's interface seems to have been properly optimized for the small screen. There was a big difference between the two, Corel and AI, when it came to someone with my eyesight (in my 50s).

In any case, I LOVE the ability to draw directly onto the screen. It's much more natural and seemed more efficient and faster.

Also, am LOVING the ability to use my fingers instead of the stylus/digital pen.

MS Word 365
Although I don't use Word for creating graphics or layouts in my job, I have used it for many years. What fun I'm having with Word 365. The ability to input text via drawing the letters with my finger instead of just typing is cool. But also the ability to sketch a graphic while in Word. This is what you'd expect to do in AI, not Word! Line weights and colors plus fills in different colors. A full color mixing palette. OMG! Fun.

Other
Connecting to various WiFis: No problem. It automatically found my wireless printer at home. Windows Apps installed seamlessly and quickly.

I'm enjoying the "Metro" and all the "touch" features. I do NOT miss having a mouse. Still learning how to "gesture" or touch the screen and get what I want. A bit of a learning curve here. Not always getting what I expect but it's been fun all the same.

NOTE: Touching the screen when the screen is in your lap or less than an arm's length away hasn't been a problem. Although if I were to get a bigger touch screen type computer for work, let's say, I suspect reaching out to a screen that IS an arm's length away will become tiresome. Mouse would be needed for that situation I assume.

Pulling the type cover [keyboard] off the tablet is fun and cool and useful when you want to start drawing.

Signed up for HBO GO via my DISH account. Enjoying catching up with my programs . . . getting ready for new season of Game of Thrones.

Haven't connected to a big screen yet.

Don't do that
I've been using it every which way. Portrait, landscape, askew, type case folded behind, kick stand with type board out toward me and etc.

I even tried forming it into a "tent" with the hinge pointed upward. This kept causing the screen to go blank/black and even caused a "blue" recovery boot. So don't do that. It isn't necessary. You can get all the angles you need without.

Verdict
In Love.

So far found no reason to take it back although it hasn't been a flawless experience. I suspect I'll run into some crashes but coming more from the Adobe side of things.

Get your Microsoft Surface Pro Windows Tablet Now!

6 komentar:

  1. Now I know the Microsoft Tablet has not came out but Im just wondering if this chip can run all your PC software. Is there any of the latest information regarding this? If there is can you explain to me why not or if it can. I know that the Windows Surface tablet pro will be able to though because it runs on a intel chip or something like that.

    BalasHapus
  2. I've been wanting to get a new computer for a while and the Microsoft surface looks appealing. I know the surface RT is already out but should I wait for the 8? I know the 8 is about twice as expensive but I also want to know if the RT is good for gaming.

    BalasHapus
  3. I am really confused. On 26th of October, only Windows 8 and Surface with Win RT will be released. But when is the actual date Surface with windows 8 pro is going to be released.

    BalasHapus
  4. I like the ipad because it seems that it could be good for both playing games and making documents. I like this for the microsoft surface too. But the iPad is so popular and I hear nothing but good things about it.

    BalasHapus
  5. I also want to be able to hook up a usb dvd drive and play movies, I was thinking about the microsoft surface pro but its pretty pricey. Mainly I want it to support java. I talk to a guy at best buy and he told me all andriod tablets support java but when I look online almost everyone says it doesnt. I just really need to know before I spend all that money. If there isnt a tablet that can do these things then can u please tell me a good converter laptop or just a regular one.

    BalasHapus
  6. Hi guys I want to know if the surface pro is like a laptop or like the ipad where you can only download apps from their store. I know Microsoft has its own store for surface RT and that the surface RT can only download from the app store. Is it the same in the surface PRO? Also, surface RT can't use Adobe flash player on all websites. Can it on the surface PRO? Thanks in advance.

    BalasHapus